window.google_analytics_uacct = "UA-240124-2"; "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Flowing Emotions
Sunday, November 20, 2005
A Story - Distract and Cheat
One day as I entered my class, I found my friends talking about an article they had read the previous day, on my blog-site. It was something about my intention to write a book on my life. I knew there were going to be many questions and I believe this was what I was really preparing for. But I didn’t go to them and kept quiet.

Then suddenly one of them shouted,"Tomorrow, by the end of the day, I want you to present that book to me". I was shocked. How come he knew so much about me? Or is he guessing?

I simply gave a plain reply. "There is no such book as yet."

There was a short silence before I spoke up again in a very low voice. "My typing speed is a lot faster than my writing speed."

Now he was really sure that I had started to write something about myself and I was in a fix as I didn’t wish to reveal about it to any of my acquaintances or even friends.

Then he said, "You needn’t hide anything from your friends".

There were many of my classmates listening to this and their concerted eyes looking at me made it clear that they were expecting an answer from me.

I had no words to speak. I was nonplused and literally didn’t know what to say because it was in no way that I could tell them about the work I am doing at home.

I looked up toward him and responded, "I’ll tell you something I read long back. It’s a saying by Khalil Gibran. Listen carefully.
‘When I stood a clear mirror before you, you gazed into me and saw your image.
Then you said, "I love you."
But in truth you loved yourself in me.’"

At first he couldn’t understand any thing about what I had just said. And I suppose it was the same case with the others too. He asked me to repeat it. So I did.

"Wow" was his reaction.

Then I continued, fully aware of all the eager ears around me, "You start liking people only because of the way they behave. They do something which you like and would wish to emulate. This simply means that you want to copy from that person or probably become like him. That person has shown something in him which is somewhat like what you call for yourself a perfect – kind. And when this feeling persists for a period of time it gets converted into undefined things. You just don’t get the head or tail of it and you end up believing that it is love.

But it’s only that she has loved in him what resembles her. She has loved herself in him."

He thought for a while and asked, "Are you trying to say that there is nothing like love?"

"No, I am not", was my reply. "All I mean to say is that whatever you feel for a person, after liking in him what you want to become like, shouldn’t be mistaken for love."

"It’s the concept of mirroring that makes the person with you, comfortable. Everyone likes people who do things they like"

Then suddenly there was a loud shout from my back. It was my other friend who too wanted to put her word forward. She said "Everybody gives their definition for love. What is it for you then?"


Though an answer was expected from me, I gave something else. "Never try to understand life. The reason for this is that it is really an easy thing to understand. But what are you going to do after understanding life? The next thing you will desire to understand will be death. You can keep on experiencing life for at least sometime. But death is a one-time experience. People stop "living" once they have understood life."

But she didn’t listen to the full thing I had said. She just caught the fact said by me, "life was easy to understand". She asked me if I could elaborate on that.

This was now getting on my nerves.

I gave a glance to my watch and that made me smile.

I said, "Life is what that lives and we humans live. But there is a paradox; the living we live is worlds apart from what the other creatures do. I mean the uncivilized ones – animals. And the biggest dissimilarity is that we experience pure things."

There was some type of confused silence around.

This made me continue. "The more pure a feeling gets the more unrequited and unbelievable it becomes. It is often ridiculed too. There is no room for purity beyond a particular limit. And I call this limit as life. You understand this sort of limpidness, and you understand life. But I do pray for you that you never have a tryst with this wholesomeness. It takes away "life" from you."

I very well knew that nobody understood what all I had said. All I needed was just to make a few more minutes pass by.

I added, "I see it on you faces that you have understood not even a bit of this philosophy. I know nobody likes these talks and I also know that a few of you might be saying to yourselves ‘Hey, what is this guy up to today’."
"And if you are thinking that I am just wasting your time, then my answer is yes."
"Read my lips – I was just making time pass by."

"If you remember, there was a question; you people had asked me - on my book, some 15 minutes back. Well, I guess, we don’t have any time for discussing about it. It’s time for me to go now."

"For all this time I had been off-putting you people and preventing you all from making me tell more about something I am reluctant to."

"I have made you forget the main topic we were discussing. But as you know I have to leave now."

"And yes. One more thing, I am sorry. I have made you people think about what you weren’t really supposed to. I haven’t riposted the question on the book yet. All this time I was just distracting you with some stupid concepts. I have cheated you."

"Good bye".
 
posted by xubayr at 3:41:00 AM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Do u agreee with Mr.Khalil Gibran.?? Or is it wat u call the art of manipulation tht u used here.I really have a feeling tht love happens when we find thins in others which we don find in ourselves.

     


View My Stats

© 2006 ZUBAIR